The Wily Care Package program is one of the ways the Wily Network supports our Scholars. Receiving a care package filled with baked goods, gift certificates, and other goodies lets Scholars know that people are thinking of them while they attend to their schoolwork. Wily care packages give our Scholars a boost during exam weeks and holidays throughout the year.
How the Wily Care Package Program Works
Each committee chair is asked to prepare care packages for 10 to 15 Scholars. Chairs form a committee of volunteers who will collectively donate items and put together the care packages five times each year.
What You’ll Need
- Small bag or container to hold items.
- Personal note or tag that says something related to holiday/event. Wily will provide the Scholars’ first names, gender, and the school they attend.
I just wanted to say thank you to the Wily Network for the care package this week. It was awesome and I may have already finished the loaf of banana bread 🙂 . I definitely felt loved and I really appreciate being a part of this group. I finally feel like I have an entire network of support that I can always count on.
Suggestions for committee chairs
- Host a care package event by inviting friends to bring items and assemble the care packages.
- Ask friends, family, and colleagues to donate items.
Using Sign Up Genius is a great way to request specific donations. Reaching out to your network helps the Wily Network spread the word about the work we do. A Wily representative can attend your event to share information and answer questions about our Scholars and our programs.
- Homemade baked goods (enough to share with roommates and friends) and healthy snacks. Wily will provide information regarding any food allergies.
- One or two gift cards to a local eatery. Wily will provide a list of restaurants near campus.
- Two personal items: one for self-care (chapstick, hand lotion, suntan lotion, etc.) and one relevant to time of the year or holiday (mittens, socks, hot chocolate, tea, etc.).
- One or two fun items: movie passes, gift cards to bookstore, Target, Amazon, Starbucks, local ice cream shop, etc.
These are just suggestions, feel free to be creative!
Please have care packages ready at least two days prior to calendar event. Wily staff will deliver care packages to Scholars at their college campuses.
Care packages can be brought to: 56 Linden Street, Needham, or 1920 Centre Street, West Roxbury. We can make also arrangements to pick them up from your location.
If volunteers would like a receipt for their purchases, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Care Package Event Calendar:
Welcome to School (August)
Fall Exams (December)
Valentine’s Day (February)
Spring Exams (April)